Position: Web Support Specialist
Division: Library Applications
Position Status: full-time, permanent
Starting Salary: $58,000 – $61,000 (annual)
Reports to: Library Applications Manager
This position provides content management, website design, training, and technical support to our member libraries in the areas of searching and navigating our public online catalog. Provides website administration for CW MARS public and internal/member library websites.
1. Oversee administration of the CW MARS public facing website, library staff website, and end-user online catalog discovery layer interface and related mobile app. Continually update, evaluate and enhance websites, with an emphasis on accessibility and overall user experience.
2. Serve as the primary contact point for library staff for questions related to discovery layer and searching. Provide support and troubleshooting to member library staff as needed via email help desk ticketing system and phone.
3. Act as the primary liaison between CW MARS member libraries and the third party hosting vendor’s support and technical staff.
4. Coordinate and provide group training sessions via Zoom and create procedural documentation. Provide documentation and training on new discovery features as needed.
5. Create basic website templates and provide technical support for the building and creating of member library sub-domain websites and content.
6. Advocate for the consortium member’s needs by actively participating in the Aspen open source community. Attend monthly meetings. Review and test software upgrades, and communicate details to member libraries.
7. Track and report discovery layer bugs and development for new features, annually prioritize development needs and submit development fund requests to the CW MARS Development Committee. Report bug status and progress to membership.
8. Facilitate CW MARS PR Task Force meetings, and oversee annual PR campaigns and creation of patron-facing marketing materials based on strategic initiatives. Create social media images that libraries can use for promotion to their patrons as needed.
9. May perform other duties as assigned and general ILS support as needed.
EXTERNAL JOB CONTACTS
1. Coordinates regular training sessions and provides technical support to staff at member libraries.
2. Communicates with discovery hosting vendor support staff to resolve questions and troubleshoot issues from member libraries.
3. Actively represents CW MARS libraries by participating in monthly open-source Aspen community meetings.
4. Serves on the state-wide Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners (MBLC) Public Relations Task Force on behalf of CW MARS libraries.
5. Represents CW MARS and member libraries at the monthly Evergreen User Interface Interest Group Meetings.
1. Four year college degree or equivalent
2. Exceptional communication and organizational skills including strong writing, editing and proofreading
3. Advanced knowledge of HTML, CSS, and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
4. Experience with website content management systems
5. Experience with Google Suite applications and document sharing
6. Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
7. Strong commitment to libraries, intellectual freedom, and CW MARS core values of:
? Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
? Respect, Cooperation, and Mutual Trust
? Lifelong Learning
1. Background or strong interest in UI/UX web design, marketing, and graphic design
2. Experience with open source software and communities
Posted: July 17, 2023
3. Experience with help desk ticketing software
4. 3-5 years experience managing website content for high traffic websites
5. Active library patron with experience using online library catalogs
6. Multilingual applicants encouraged to apply
1. Full-time. Monday through Friday, 37.5 hour work week.
2. Position is located in Worcester, MA. Hybrid remote schedule eligible (requires a minimum of one day/week on-site) after the initial training period.
3. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement plan as well as paid holidays, three weeks of vacation, and sick and personal time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, use computers, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to talk and hear and frequently required to sit.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The incumbent must be able to work in a fast paced environment with demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as
appropriate. The position description is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
HOW TO APPLY
Email a cover letter, resume and three references in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Web Support Specialist. Position is open until filled.
Posted: July 17, 2023