The Evergreen community is pleased to announce the release of Evergreen 2.12. The release is available on the Evergreen downloads page.
With this release, we strongly encourage the community to start using the new web client on a trial basis in production. All current Evergreen functionality is available in the web client with the exception of serials and offline circulation. The web client is scheduled to be available for full production use with the September 3.0 release.
Other notable new features and enhancements for 2.12 include:
- Overdrive and OneClickdigital integration. When configured, patrons will be able to see ebook availability in search results and on the record summary page. They will also see ebook checkouts and holds in My Account.
- Improvements to metarecords that include:
- improvements to the bibliographic fingerprint to prevent the system from grouping different parts of a work together and to better distinguish between the title and author in the fingerprint;
- the ability to limit the “Group Formats & Editions” search by format or other limiters;
- improvements to the retrieval of e-resources in a “Group Formats & Editions” search;
- and the ability to jump to other formats and editions of a work directly from the record summary page.
- The removal of advanced search limiters from the basic search box, with a new widget added to the results page where users can see and remove those limiters.
- A change to topic, geographic and temporal subject browse indexes that will display the entire heading as a unit rather than displaying individual subject terms separately.
- Support for right-to-left languages, such as Arabic, in the public catalog. Arabic has also become a new officially-supported language in Evergreen.
- A new hold targeting service supporting new targeting options and runtime optimizations to speed up targeting.
- In the web staff client, the ability to apply merge profiles in the record bucket merge and Z39.50 interfaces.
- The ability to display copy alerts when recording in-house use.
- The ability to ignore punctuation, such as hyphens and apostrophes, when performing patron searches.
- Support for recognition of client time zones, particularly useful for consortia spanning time zones.
Evergreen 2.12 also requires PostgreSQL 9.3, with a recommendation that sites upgrade to PostgreSQL 9.4. It also requires the 2.5 release of OpenSRF. The full feature set for this release is available in the 2.12 Release Notes.
As with all Evergreen releases, many hands contributed to a successful release process. The release is a result of code, documentation, and translation contributions from 46 people representing 23 organizations in the community, along with financial contributions from nine Evergreen sites that commissioned development. Many thanks to everyone who helped make this release happen.